When Loveland was founded, residents nearby of St. Louis realized that their town could not survive without rail service. Shipments of farm products were hardly practical over the area's primitive wagon roads passable only in good weather. Many St. Louis merchants moved their businesses to Loveland. The Colorado Central erected an 80-foot by 30-foot brick depot, completed in December 1877. It was located on the west side of the tracks close to Fourth Street. Unfortunately, trains stopped at the depot blocked traffic. The depot, built at a cost of $2,000 had a ticket office, passenger waiting and freight room. This structure was replaced in 1902 by the present-day dept, and the bricks from the old depot were used for the sidewalk.